Sunday, October 6, 2019

Infographics


Infographics are a FABULOUS way to share information.  As librarians, and educators in general, sharing information is an important part of our job.  If done properly, an infographic is a very powerful way to get data across in a simple way.  One splendid example of this is:
Retrieved from https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7zn21ogbx7hrvko/AADB87N9rK1qmQn-sMCdUXa5a?dl=0&preview=DiversityInChildrensBooks2018_f_8.5x11.jpg

In order to be able to understand and utilize infographics meaningfully, I tried out three different webapps to see which one I work best with.  I read two articles (see references below) from the Pew Research Center and used the data from those articles to create an Infographic in each of the webapps. 

Positives: It is easy to set up an account, clear and perfectly simple.
Negatives:  It doesn’t have very many options for backgrounds, layouts, images, or anything else without upgrading to premium. I cannot download the infographic, and I can only share it online.  A further negative, I totally missed the “layout” options the first time I used it.  Thus, my very simple and boring infograph.  This program would benefit from an introduction of how their app works like the others have so that users know what they are doing from the beginning.



Positives: It explains what the site is about before you sign up.  It also has little pop-up windows to assist you if you need help, different templates, interesting content, lots of options for images and shapes, many fonts, and it allows you to download and save and share.  It does have paid options, but they are not in your face and there are many free options.  The webapp has crisp, clear images and fonts and creates an inviting infograph.  The text and images are easy to modify. 
Negatives: I tried to find something, but can’t find anything to complain about.


Positives:  It explains the program before asking you to make an account, lets you preview templates before starting them, has more options than Easel.ly, and FANTASTIC images and gifs that make the presentations pop.
Negatives:  It doesn’t have as many options as Piktochart, and you cannot download without buying a higher-level package. The only other negative is that I need more practice using it so that the transitions and effects work better together.
In the end, I am going with Piktochart as the best choice for me because it is easy to use AND makes a great infograph.


References
Jiang, J. (2018, August 22). How teens and parents navigate screen time and device distractions.
Schaeffer, K. (2019, August 23). Most U.S. teens who use cellphones do it to pass time, connect
with others, learn new things.   Factank: News in the numbers. Pew Research Center. Retrieved from https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/08/23/most-u-s-teens-who-use-cellphones-do-it-to-pass-time-connect-with-others-learn-new-things/



1 comment:

  1. Emily, I liked how you presented your positives and negatives about the three infographic platforms, that you tried out. Presenting the information in that way makes it helpful for your readers. My favorite was Easelly. One of the reasons that I like Easelly so much is because it offers its users the option of copying and pasting the user’s own images for free.

    ReplyDelete

All Good Things Must End: A Reflection on the Semester

As the semester comes to an end and I reflect upon the many tools I have learned to use and information I have processed, I want to share ...