Monday, October 14, 2019

Superb Screencasts

A fabulous tech tool that I have started using is the screencast.  A screencast is simply a video recording of your computer screen with audio narration (TechSmith.com).

For today's blog post, I have used two different screencasting programs to make two different screencasts for my students.   



Snagit
With Snagit, you can take screenshots and edit them- actually move components of them around, cut them out, add text, images, manipulate the pieces.  You can also record the video and audio of a screencast.

Pros: You can choose the size of the recording.  Once I figured out how to record the video, it was easy to record.  


Cons: It was very confusing to figure out how to get started with Snagit.  First, it had to be downloaded and then once it was downloaded, I had to go back online to register, and then had to go back and open the program again.  It was hard to figure out how to start the program. It doesn’t highlight words that I go over with the arrow. It doesn’t have a circle or anything to draw the user’s eye to what I am pointing at with the mouse.  There are cool looking editing tools, but they are very intimidating to a first time user.  


If the video to the right doesn't upload fast enough, here is the link to my video: https://youtu.be/2Ro3w2CbSNE 








With Screencast-o-matic, you can record your screencast video and audio.  There are also editing components, but as far as I can tell, these require upgrading to a paid subscription.

Pros:  The video is super easy to record.  You can record just the screen, both the screen and the presenter, or just the presenter.  For this screencast, I wanted the students to pay close attention to what they will have to click on in TexQuest so I did not put my face anywhere in the video.  However, I feel that there are many times that it would be beneficial for them to be able to see the teacher/librarian. This set up also gives options of how to record different parts of the lesson or information.  I am pleased with how my video turned out. It is simple and keeps the focus on the steps the students need to take. I like the highlighting tool and the circle it puts around the mouse to make it easier for viewers to see.  

Cons:  Every part of the website is trying to get me to upgrade. I saved my video as a video to my computer, and then it disappeared from the Screencast-o-matic website page.  This was unfortunate because I would have liked to save it to my account. 

The video to the left should be my screencast, but if it isn't uploading fast enough, here is the link:  https://youtu.be/W8Dj8mok4xg 


Final thoughts:
When I am trying out new tech tools, I try to use them like a student would.  A student is not going to watch the tutorial or even read the instructions. They are going to hop right in and try to use the tool.  As a librarian, I am going to use screencasts to record instructions, tutorials, processes, and other information for my students and staff.  With these ideas in mind, I believe that Screencast-o-matic is a much more practical tool.  

 Images taken from:
Snagit logo retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snagit 
Screencast-o-matic logo retrieved from https://screencast-o-matic.com/home 


4 comments:

  1. First of all I love how you defined what a screencast is, something in retrospect I probably should have mentioned! Also I agree with your last statement about the tech tools viewed through student eyes - you're right they are not going to take the time to watch a tutorial video or read instructions. The tech tools need to be intuitive and user friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your opening statement and that you added the definition of what a screencast is and like Sarah mentions in her post, I didn't think about adding something basic like that which is very useful to start to understand a new tool. I agree with you in that Snagit was very confusing to figure out how to start working with it. It was frustrating at first. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily,
    I think it's so smart that you use new tech tools as if you were a student. I never thought to do that, but I definitely will from now on. I was very happy with Screencast-o-matic but was actually unable to get any of the other sites to work. These blog posts have been really helpful in letting me know that I didn't miss out on anything spectacular.

    ReplyDelete

All Good Things Must End: A Reflection on the Semester

As the semester comes to an end and I reflect upon the many tools I have learned to use and information I have processed, I want to share ...